Re: Mutt & Outlook Express

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:19:46AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> If I have auto-signatures (GPG or PGP) turned on in Mutt, it creates a
> multi-part MIME message to send to the recipient.  Make sense.
>
> However, users of Outlook Express and some other mailers (I think
> Eudora also?) are complaining that instead of their mailer displaying
> the text and a GPG signature attachment, it's showing them TWO
> attachments, and no mail text when they view the message.
>
> If they open the first attachment, that's the message.  The second one
> is the GPG signature.
>
> A couple of these folks are Windows users and they're living by the
> mantra of "don't open attachments from people you don't know".  Sad,
> isn't it?  :)

Naw.  Just desserts.

> Anyway, because the message itself comes across as an attachment, they
> won't open it, therefore they won't read the mail message.
>
> So my question is, for these mail programs, is there anything I can
> teach Mutt to do to make it easier for them to read my mail?

A "me-too".  I've encountered the same issue.  My technical fix has been
to respond:

    It's a GPG signed message in MIME format.  Why does it do that and
    how can I fix it -- I don't know and I don't care.  Here's a dime,
    get a real mail client.

It's been observered that PGP *doesn't* create mime attachments while
GPG does.  Despite my ignorant and apathetic inclinations to this
problem, if there is an easy fix to allow GPG signatures without
mime-attaching the content, I'd appreciate data.

Thanks.