Re: SysVinit prob... now runlevel question

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000, brian moore wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 12:25:57AM -0400, Mark Simos wrote:
> > As I understand it, X86 hardware hardly ever uses anything but two levels. I know sun
> > hardware actually makes significant use of the runlevels, but I am made to understand
> > that nobody ever really bothered to implement any more than two different runlevels.
> >
> > (I think this is similar to windows progs running in user or kernel mode (ring 0 or
> > ring [2?] of x86 processors)
> >
> > does anybody have anything besides hearsay to confirm or deny this?

[snip -- nice explanation on sysv runlevels]

As for the user or kernel mode (the "hardware runlevels"), linux uses only
2: it uses ring 0 (kerneland ;-) ) and ring 3 (userland). Other ring levels
(1 & 2) aren't used because it takes just too much time to switch rings in
most (all?) x86 CPUs... They'd be useful for kernel drivers if not for this
fatal drawback.

  Henrique Holschuh