SysVinit problem?

Just installed Potato onto my work laptop and it's mostly working great
but there's one odd thing which, since I've never used Debian before,
I'm not sure is an error or a feature.

All the user runlevel directories, /etc/rc1.d/ through to /etc/rc5.d/,
have exactly the same contents and they're all start scripts, no kill
scripts.  If I telinit from (for example) runlevel 2 to 4, nothing
happens except for the "sending a term/kill signal to all processes"
message.  The console I type it at stays the same but all the other ttys
freeze until I telinit back to the original runlevel.

This seems odd behaviour and it feels as if something didn't configure
properly during installation.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.