Re: SysVinit problem?

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 10:12:33AM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> This is ok, Debian doesn't use runlevels 3-5 for anything by default AFAIK,
> and they're mostly equal to runlevel 2 (I think /etc/inittab has some stuff
> which is different, simply to show it can do that).

I thought that might be the case but I'm still concerned about the
freezing ttys.  I can't believe that it's intended behaviour.

> BTW, there's an utterly braindamaged behaviour in many (most?) daemon
> packages during upgrade: They will start their daemons regardless of the
> current runlevel, so keep this in mind during upgrades if you hand-trimmed
> your runlevels to actually mean something.

Hmmm.  A newly installed package won't know which levels you want it
running in but one being upgrade ought to be able to check.

> Proposing a fix to this is in my TODO list. The code is rather easy, really,
> but requires a policy change as almost all packages who have something in
> /etc/init.d will have to be fixed.

I'm new to Debian and only just finished reading the policy docs atc.
I suppose some extended version of update-rc.d is the thing for that.

--
Bruce

The good news is that in 1995 we will have a good operating system and
programming language; the bad news is that they will be Unix and C++.
		-- Richard P. Gabriel