Re: Dselect file list generation

Hi,

I'm new to the dselect/apt-get/... tools, (I just got Debian 2.2
installed last night and have not had time yet to play with/learn these
new tools).  I'm guessing that the output of 'apt-get -s' is a simple
list of file names (no extras, like size, in additional columns).  If
so, the following would also work, and may be easier than editing, etc.
You need to be running bash or ksh for this to work.  The $(<filename)
is a quick way to get the shell to open a file and substitute its
contents on the command line.  So you would do these two commands, on
your separate systems:

  $ apt-get -s dselect-upgrade > list
  $ apt-get -d install $(<list)

If for some reason you don't have bash/ksh, use this for the second
line:

  $ apt-get -d install `cat list` # the quotes are back quotes, NOT
apostrophes/single quotes

The only issue with this is if the content of the file exceeds the
command line buffer size, not an issue with bash and ksh, so far as I've
found.