mkinitrd ? kernel image problem !!

Hi!

  I've found that there is no mkinitrd commnad in Debian.
  Is there any tools or package can do the same thing like mkinitrd in RedHat ?

  In RedHat:

    Use mkinitrd I can give a new pathname for new kernel's modules.
    Like /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-1 with /lib/modules/2.2.17-1
    and /boot/vmliniz-2.2.17-2 with /lib/modules/2.2.17-2 ... etc.

    So I can just only add a new entry in /etc/lilo.conf, then reboot for test
    new kernel. If failed, I can easy to switch back the old kernel, because
    they are use the different modules path.

  But in Debian:

    I can't find mkinitrd program. So everytime I need to test new kernel, I
    must to move the modules path /lib/modules/2.2.17 to /lib/modules/2.2.17.old
    and move the /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17 to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17.old, then install
    the new kernel and modules, then reboot it.

    If this new kernel can't work. I found there is no easy way to switch back.
    Because the /lib/modules/2.2.17 is for new kernel, so the old kernel image
    can't find some modules in the path contain new modules.

    So I must boot from a floopy or CD-ROM to mount the disk, then move the
    /lib/modules/2.2.17.old back to /lib/modules/2.2.17 to let old kernel image
    work.

  Is there any suggest for testing new kernel and modules easy like I do it in
  a RedHat box ?

--

    Tommy Wu
    mailto:tommy@teatime.com.tw