Re: Console based Word Processor

On 28 Aug 2000, Paul Huygen wrote:
> USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
>
> > No, I'm actually looking for a word processor for small time
> > jobs like letters and other odd things that I push out on my
> > DMP. This type of odd jobs actually occupies 60% of my time.
> > I am getting tired of switching to "X" for such small stuff.
>
> I have to write many small letters too. However, contrary to general
> opinions, I think that (Emacs and) LaTeX provides an at least as
> efficient way to type letters than standard word processors or editors
> do. The trick is, to make a style file
> (e.g. mypersonalletterstyle.cls) that builds the letter including
> header, head items, foot items, date, signature etc, and to make a
> keyboard macro for the editor of choice that generates the following
> frame for the letter, e.g.:
>
> \documentclass{mypersonalletterstyle}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{letter}{*name and address of adressee*}
>
> *text of the letter here*
>
> \closing{*closing sentence here*}
> \end{letter}
> \end{document}
>
> Then, all you have to do to create a beautyful letter, is 1) activate
> the keyboard macro to generate the letter frame, 2) replace the parts
> between the asterixes by the actual texts and 3) LaTeX and print
> the letter.
>
> Paul Huygen

I agree; I've done exactly this in vim.

Another possibility is to use pr.  You can set up an alias to produce
the format you like; I have:

	alias pr="pr -f -l 57 -o 5"

I also agree that dependence on word processors is unnecessary. When I
used DOS I had a WP I liked a lot called Protext. I missed it at first
in Linux (because it won't run in dosemu). However, now I used vim (with
latex when necesssary) and can reproduce all the features I used to like
in Protext, plus some others.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.2 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards