Re: Reading Sun disks/backup tapes on a Debian system

   EGM> On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:09:12PM +0100, Melanie Dymond Harper wrote:
   >> Hi folks,
   >>
   >> Does anyone have information about how one might read Sun-format
   >> (ufsdump) backup tapes or, alternatively, ufs-format disks on a Debian
   >> system?

   EGM> You probably need a kernel with ufs support.  Apparently there are
   EGM> several versions so you have to specify a 'usftype=...' paramater to
   EGM> mount.  See <kernel-source>/Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt for more
   EGM> info.  I'm guessing it doesn't come with the prebuilt *.deb kernels, but
   EGM> you can check /lib/modules/<kernel_version/fs -- presumably a module
   EGM> would be named ufs.o . If it's built into the kernel (doubtful) you can
   EGM> also look at /proc/filesystems.
Hi,

ufsdumps are basically cpio-files. If the copy on tape was made to the raw
device (which is so in most cases), then you can access it with cpio as
usual. Maybe you have to skip at the beginning, but I don´t think so.

Hope that helps,

				Christoph