Re: compile question

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:24:16PM -0500, Debian Mail wrote:
> Hey Users,
> Ghost here.
> I have a compile question. I'm compiling gnubile and am running
> into a compile problem. A good bit into my make, I am getting an error:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/root/gnubile-0.31-pre/src'
> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o gnubile  main.o support.o interface.o callbacks.o admin.o download.o monitor.o search.o network.o stream_cli.o stream_serv.o stream_sched.o hexdump.o stream_log.o http.o textutils.o log.o ip.o dl.o uuid.o random.o atomicio.o bsd-misc.o -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxml -lz
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [gnubile] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/gnubile-0.31-pre/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>

> I am unsure what this -lz is trying to do and how I correct this.
> Any help much appriciated.

Just some info, nothing more:

Apparently it is trying to link to image compression/decompression library,
called zlib I think.

libz.* things belongs to zlib1g-dev package (here in mixed potato/woody).

libz.* files should be in /usr/lib/.  I think they are very common
installed, but of course you can check if they are missing.

PS. Argh, are you sure you wan't to run as root, when compiling programs?
Well, there may be reasons which I don't know.

Let me tell you why I use Linux: Some time ago, I made a mistake and
tried to access data on a cdrom using well-known commercial os. It
totally freezed! Only by pressing cd-drive's eject button I managed
to reboot my machine. - Esko Lehtonen