Re: Strange logon problem with CAPS. Please read you all!

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:59:18PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 03:08:27AM -0300, Taupter wrote:
> > Voila! The text now is all-CAPS. ls has glitches, and ls --color doesn't
> > display any color. Emacs and other console programs doesn't display its
> > interfaces in the right way. It affects the current console only.
>
> This is a feature, not a bug.
>
> Early Unix assumed that if you entered your login in all capitals, the
> terminal was incapable of lowercase.  The session was then executed in
> upper case.
>
> User input is case-shifted to lc, system output is case-shifted to UC.
>
> Disable capslock before entering your userid.

I stumbled onto this yesterday for the first time.  While the login went OK
(what happens with a mixed--UC and lc--password?), I was flustered enough to
immediately type "reset" which eliminated the behavior.  Maybe when I get in
a playful mood I'll explore the consequences a bit more...  :-)

Kenward