Re: Sending mail via exim: spooky....

Lehel Bernadt wrote:

> On 26-Aug-2000 Andreas Hetzmannseder wrote:
> > Dear debian-users
> >
> > I tried to send a test message to my friend who has an e-mail account
> > on the same PC and from the same provider as me, let's say
> > friendsname@netway.at.
> > This should have gone to my provider's smtp-server named smtp.netway.at.
> > I edited just a little text using mutt, hit the key for 'send' [...]
> > Well, the message hasn't arrived at our mailserver :( [...]
> >
> > Besides it seems, all that exim does in my case is deliver messages
> > locally. /var/log/exim/mainlog includes the following:
> >
> >         [...]unknown local-part friendsname in domain netway.at
> >
> > with netway.at being the 'visible mail name of my system' according to
> > the following entry in my exim.conf:
> >
> >         qualify_domain = netway.at
> >
> > Now I think that exim tried to deliver an error message to
> > hetzmann@netway.at according to my /etc/email-addresses:
> >
> >         andy:hetzmann@netway.at
> >
> > Like before /var/log/exim/mainlog said:
> >
> >         unknown local-part hetzmann in domain netway.at
> >
> > [...]
>
> I think your problem is with the local_domains setting in exim.conf.
> Make sure you have qualify_recipient set to your hostname (not netway.at) and
> local_domains is commented out.

According to your suggestion my settings are now as follows:
        qualify_recipient = woof # ...which is localhost's name...
        local-domains = localhost:netway.at:localhost
        # localhost even twice? Well, I don't mind, if exim insists
        # on that...

My problem remains.

Two questions:
- 'my hostname': Do you mean the name of my PC or the name of my
  providers smtp-server?
- 'commenting out': Do you mean a) disable by taking out of the context
                                   through commenting?
                                b) enable by taking out the comment mark

You see, I have a special "talent" of understanding things quite
contrary, like:
        west wind: Does it come from the west or does it go to the west?

Thank you and kind regards...
Andreas.