Re: Strange logon problem with CAPS. Please read you all!

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 03:08:27AM -0300, Taupter wrote:
> Hello, folks.
>

> Some friend told me about a problem he has with Slack7.1, and I tested
> with Debian 2.2 (upgraded from net) and worked the same. Let me explain:
>
> Make sure CAPS-LOCK is off;
> In a console logon, press CAPS-LOCK before typing your login name;
> Type in your login name and press Enter. The word PASSWORD will be show
> all caps;
> Press CAPS-LOCK again and type your password an press Enter.
>
> Voila! The text now is all-CAPS. ls has glitches, and ls --color doesn't
> display any color. Emacs and other console programs doesn't display its
> interfaces in the right way. It affects the current console only.

This is a feature, not a bug.

Early Unix assumed that if you entered your login in all capitals, the
terminal was incapable of lowercase.  The session was then executed in
upper case.

User input is case-shifted to lc, system output is case-shifted to UC.

Disable capslock before entering your userid.