Low memory laser printers (LJ Series II)

Is there a way to print to low memory laser printers? My LaserJet
Series II has 512k (or is it only 384k?) RAM, I would like to use cups
but can't print the test page at 150dpi. The 'laserjetlo' 150dpi
option from the magicfilter package works better, but the character
spacing on the second half of the page sometimes goes mad.

It should be possible to adjust the 'mx' option in /etc/printcap,
shouldn't it? 'man printcap' says the option adjusts the "BUFSIZ
blocks", but how big is such a block, and can I still print entire A4
paper pages?

Andre