Re: [Q] what do these portmap log entries mean?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:40:46PM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:
> > huh, my protscan shows this:
> >
> > Interesting ports on Blackbird (127.0.0.1):
[a lotta interesting ports]
> > first of all, what are these "unknown" entries about? these ports are
> > not listed in /etc/services.
>
> What i do is run the command "lsof | grep 757" to see what process is on
> that port. i believe that is a NFS/rpc service though.
Blackbird:~# lsof | grep 757
rpc.statd   154    root    1u  IPv4         92                TCP *:757 (LISTEN)

bingo.
> > and then, I use my machine as a gateway to the Internet, so is this
> > ipchains-chain alright or do I need more firewalling?
> > ipchains -A input -p tcp -i ippp0 -y -l -j DENY
> >
> > ippp0 is my ISDN-device.
>
> that looks as if it would probably work.(im not an ipchains expert) I
> would suggest scanning your ppp IP with nmap to see what is accessable
> to the outside world.

Darkstar:~# nmap 62.244.87.10

Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor@dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0 seconds

OK. I am relieved. A remote portscan from grc.com didn't show up anything
eighter.

Thanks a lot, I can go to bed now without worries...

Michael