Re: [Q] what do these portmap log entries mean?

Michael Banck wrote:

> huh, my protscan shows this:
>
> Interesting ports on Blackbird (127.0.0.1):
> Port    State       Protocol  Service
> 9       open        tcp        discard
> 13      open        tcp        daytime
> 21      open        tcp        ftp
> 23      open        tcp        telnet
> 25      open        tcp        smtp
> 37      open        tcp        time
> 111     open        tcp        sunrpc
> 119     open        tcp        nntp
> 139     open        tcp        netbios-ssn
> 757     open        tcp        unknown
> 1024    open        tcp        unknown
> 1025    open        tcp        listen
> 6000    open        tcp        X11
>
> first of all, what are these "unknown" entries about? these ports are
> not listed in /etc/services.

What i do is run the command "lsof | grep 757" to see what process is on
that port. i believe that is a NFS/rpc service though.

> and then, I use my machine as a gateway to the Internet, so is this
> ipchains-chain alright or do I need more firewalling?
> ipchains -A input -p tcp -i ippp0 -y -l -j DENY
>
> ippp0 is my ISDN-device.

that looks as if it would probably work.(im not an ipchains expert) I
would suggest scanning your ppp IP with nmap to see what is accessable
to the outside world.  if for some reason ipchains isn't blocking it, i
would block everything except ftp, telnet, smtp (unless u don't need
them then block them too) on my machine (portal.aphroland.org, DSL) i
have SSH, ftp, http, and auth(port 113, for irc) open everything else is
firewalled shut. And that box has a _LOT_ of things running, probably 50
open ports if i didn't firewall it.

> Thanks a lot,

sure, glad to help!

nate