Re: slow modem response

The problem is, the software is looking for the wrong interrupt.  That's why the response is so slow.

Look in /proc/pci for something that sounds like a modem.  There should be something that tells you what the irq is.  use setserial to change the irq setting that the software is looking for "setserial -v /dev/ttyS0?? irq ??" or something to that effect (this is off the top of my head.  Read the man page).  With setserial, you can change
alot of serial port settings, so it's a great tool.  Once you get that running, start looking for a place to have setserial run on boot-up.  Then you should be golden.

About 3 years ago, I first started Linux when I was living in Germany, and it took about 6 months for me to figure out how to do this because I didn't have anybody that I could ask, and how can you find help online if you can't dial out?

--Mike