slow modem response

Hello Debian Users,
D Ghost here. I am trying to get advice on a slow modem I have here.
My modem is a best data 56k modem that said 'linux compatable' on the box (ha!)
at any rate, I have it on ttyS3 and when I send commands to it (i.e- minicom) it has a very slow response. I can send it ATZ string and the modem seems to take 10 seconds or more to receive the string. Needless to say any dialup script I use will basically time out. Not sure if this is some type of serial problem between the modem and pc.

Advice much aprriciated!

D Ghost

'space ghost on neptune!'