Re: What are MUA, MTA, MDA? (Was Re: Linux Mail Client)

David Teague wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, John Pearson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I differentiate between MUAs, MDAs, and MTAs; examples are:
> >   MUA:  mutt
> >   MDA:  procmail
> >   MTA:  exim
>
> John,
>
> 1) What do MTA, MUA, MDA stand for?

MTA: Mail Transfer Agent
MDA: Mail Delivery Agent
MUA: Mail User Agent
Though some use "Message" instead of "Mail".

Specifically an MTA handles SMTP (or UUCP?) transactions over the
internet, an MDA places email in mailboxes and a MUA allows users to
read & send mail.

[snip]
> 4) Where would I look this up? What is TFM  I should R?

There's a good guide at UIUC:
http://www-wsg.cso.uiuc.edu/sendmail/tutorial/intro/MUA-MTA-MDA.html
And A Linux Journal article about it:
http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue46/2516s2.html
Yes, there should be something better requiring less hunting.   FOLDOC
covers MTA and MUA but not MDA.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef