RE: DSL and Debian questions

On 24-Aug-2000 David Bellows wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm contemplating getting DSL service through my local phone co.
> Bellsouth (anyone have specific dealings with them re: DSL) and find
> myself in total ignorance of what's involved, so please bear with me as
> I ask these questions.
>
> 1.  The service comes with an external DSL modem.  I was under the
> impression that DSL hooked up through one's ethernet card.  Since I
> appear to be wrong, what does the DSL modem do and is it likely to be
> GNU/Linux compatible?

The DSL modem has a connector for cable.  You use cable (10BaseT in my case)
to connect the DSL modem to a network card in your computer.  My Network card
is PCI, since I was not brave enough to try the type with a USB connector.

> 2.  I installed the default kernel in my system and didn't set up any
> networking stuff (currently using a dial up connection -- I'm presuming
> that DSL is a kind of networking thing).  Where do I find the
> information about these things and is there a Debian tool that will help
> me configure whatever needs configuring?

I downloaded Roaring Penguin from www.roaringpenguin.com and then used Alien
to make a Debian package from the rpm I downloaded.  I have PPP and SLIP (I
don't believe SLIP is actually required) compiled in my kernel, along with the
tulip driver for the network card being installed as a module.  Of course, you
need to have the PPP package installed too, which you probably already have
since you are using a dialup.  I had to empty my /etc/ppp/options since pppoe
has its own options file.

> 3.  The webpage for Bellsouth DSL mentions three requirements (in
> addition to MS or Mac) a)  USB (probably not currently supported in
> Debian, eh?) OR b) ethernet card OR c) NIC.  My question: what is the
> difference between ethernet and NIC?  Which should I get?
NIC and ethernet refer to the same thing.  NIC= Network Interface Card.

> 4.  Another requirement was that I needed a dial up modem installed,
> which I do have, but why would I need that?

I have no idea why you would need that.  I didn't need one.

I am using Pacific Bell, btw.

--
Andrew