RE: DSL and Debian questions

At 00:12 2000/08/24 +0000, you wrote:
On 24-Aug-2000 David Bellows wrote:
> 2.  I installed the default kernel in my system and didn't set up any
> networking stuff (currently using a dial up connection -- I'm presuming
> that DSL is a kind of networking thing).  Where do I find the
> information about these things and is there a Debian tool that will help
> me configure whatever needs configuring?

I downloaded Roaring Penguin from www.roaringpenguin.com and then used Alien to make a Debian package from the rpm I downloaded. I have PPP and SLIP (I don't believe SLIP is actually required) compiled in my kernel, along with the tulip driver for the network card being installed as a module. Of course, you need to have the PPP package installed too, which you probably already have since you are using a dialup. I had to empty my /etc/ppp/options since pppoe has its own options file.

Actually, if you apt-get install pppoe, that IS the roaring penguin PPPoE client. They've nicely .deb'd it for us. I use that on my firewall/MASQ box using DSL up here in the Great White North, and it works like a charm.
The only time I'm ever down now is when Sympatico has a problem.

> 4.  Another requirement was that I needed a dial up modem installed,
> which I do have, but why would I need that?

I have no idea why you would need that.  I didn't need one.

Sounds like it's maybe not pure DSL, but DSL-down, Analog-up, maybe?
Same as the Satellite Internet service, or Look high speed (another Canadian thing. Microwave TV/Internet. Bi-directional in Toronto Sept. 1! Whoo Hoo!).

HTH.
Adam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada