Re: Linux Mail Client

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 09:37:32AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:14:24PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Generally, you should just be able to tell your mail client to use a
> > different configuration.

>     Hack.  The mail client should be able to do that internally.

It seems to map pretty closely onto the obvious implementtion strategy
;-) .  Having used Outlook, which seems to be the example people are
quoting of something that supports this I actually prefer the separate
instances method.  Seamlessness is all very well, but things like
deciding which account new mail is sent from don't seem to work quite as
they should.

I guess Evolution might do what you want - it seems aimed fairly
squarely at being an Outlook clone, although it's obviously not ready
yet.

> > As far as I'm aware all the MUAs with non-trivial support for IMAP can
> > do this.
[Support configuring things like sent-mail and mbox folders]

>     Too bad none exist, not even UW's own Pine is non-trivial in my eyes.  But
> then, I am more demanding of my mail clients than most people are.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.

Thinking about it, you can probably do everything with mutt, apart from
using different outgoing mail servers (you could probably do that too if
you could put up with having multiple MTAs or if there's configuration
options in current versions I don't know about).  Hooks and a list of
inboxes probably handle most things.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/