Re: screensaver not working in gnome/enlightenment

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 04:44:23AM -0400, Dave Bresson wrote:

> Hi, i'm running off a new install of Potato, with GNOME and E all happily
> working.  However, their is one problem.  The various utilities in all the
> GNOME menus for screensavers don't work.  In other words, i can't get the
> screensaver to kick in at all after it's initial idle time (or for that
> matter, if i simply tell it to lock immediately).  I try running
> `xscreensaver &` and all i get is an error message:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0
> xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/shadow (0/42)
> xscreensaver: running as nobody/nogroup (65534/65534)
>

> Also, it's very important to mention that this *only* happens as root,
> other regular accounts work fine.  Anyway, i would just like to find a
> solution to have a screensaver for root.

why?  root should never login to X, root should never login period,
you should use su instead.

xscreensaver will refuse to retain root privileges and drops them
immediatly before even connecting to the X server, this means it will
not have access to the X cookies (~/.Xauthority) and will thus be
refused permission to connect to the X server.  this is a good thing.

so the solution is (as BSDers say) `don't login as root use su'

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/