old versions

Where can I find older versions of packages that did not make it into stable? I installed unstable (2.2) on a box a way back before it was frozen, and toyed with it for a while, then left it aside until now. I think I removed most of /usr/share and some other locations (it has only a 100meg harddrive so I was looking to trim it down some). But this has trashed gpm, cpio and a few other non-essential progs. I cannot uninstall them dpkg says:

Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.

But the package has been updated to a new version, and I cannot install it. I have tried the force option and can't get it to remove it. Maybe it is just my syntax:

dpkg -r gpm --force-remove-reinstreq

other slightly differt wordings get the same result.

If I dig through the deb file, and figure out what files it would install and touch these files on the system will dpkg think everything is fine and remove them? Ie does dpkg checksum or verify the package's files in any way?

Thanks.

Gregg