Re: gnome install

> I finally reach to install gnome with Enlightenment as wm with the last
> distribution package (2.2 rev0) on my linux box with a Intel pentium III and
> 128Mb ram.
> I met two different kind of problems:
>
> first with gnome-moz?-remote ... which failed because:
>         /dev/dsp no such device
>         ....  exit code (-1)
means you have not configured a sound device correctly or the sound
device is unsupported.

> but ls -l /dev/dsp shows me well a character device with major number 14 and
> minor 3 as build with MAKEDEV -rw-rw---- access right for root audio?
> I then rebuild the kernel with all audio device option (even thought I have
> no sound devices but the build in 'buser') but no dsp module seems to be
> add.

the /dev directory is just an interface to the drivers, just because
there is an entry there does NOT mean that there is a device that the
file can interface with. in this case, when gnome tries to access
/dev/dsp it can't because there is no sound driver loaded.

> After the reboot with new kernel (after the usual make modules and make
> modules_install), I still have the same error.
> (It seems also that screensaver meet the same problem).
> Do I have to install additional audio package (without sound device)?

you must configure your soundcard, what kind of soundcard is it?

> second netscape-remote (from netscape-base-4) failed because:
> could not open display :0 ?

make sure you are running netscape as the same user you are logged in
as, chances are you ran it as root after doing an 'su' in a terminal
(that is a common thing to have happen)
You CAN run apps under different userids but it takes a couple extra
commands.

nate

--
:::