Re: slow inetd

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:43:12PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <20000822111231.I18164@ix.netcom.com>,
>  <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >Usually it's a problem in the inclusion of nameservers (do you include
> >localhost?), and the "order" directive in /etc/host.conf:
> >
> >	order hosts,bind
>
> Host.conf isn't used with libc6 anymore (i.e. for the last 2 years).
> It's now /etc/nsswitch.conf

Looking at man nsswitch.conf and man host.conf, it appears this is
partially true.

As I understand, host.conf is used by the resolver.  This should be
what's at stake for DNS lookups.

nsswitch.conf looks to be a super-configuration file pointing various C
library functions to other configuration files.  From the state of the
man pages, it appears that there is some consolidation of functionality,
but both files are still required.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about got an authoritative
reference on this?