slow inetd

Greetings:

I've got potato on a network with some windows machines. Potato has wuftpd installed and configured in inetd.conf. sshd is also started when it boots.

When I try to ftp from windows to potato (using the local ip address of potato) it takes 2-3 MINUTES before I get a response from wuftpd. Using command line ftp, I see that I get connected immediately, there is just a huge lag before wuftpd actually responds. Once I'm logged in, ftp works as fast as expected.

Everything else works fine:

ping windows <-> potato : fast
ssh  windows -> potato : fast

I'm also using potato as a gateway for my windows machines using ipchains/forwarding and everything works fine with that as well.

Any clues?  What config files should I be studying?

TIA