Re: getting dma66 support in kernel

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 10:37:20PM -0700, cxpx wrote:

> Hey that got it to work for me!!  I have had problems following
> other how-to's.  Well, the HD speed went from 3 MB to 22 MB.  This
> is still a long way from 66.  Is this normal? (I here 66 is almost
> unattainable) I have a motherboard and a hd that support ata 66 so
> I'm not sure what the differences are compared to having a seperate
> controller.

22 MB/sec is a pretty good result! For more accurate benchmarks you
should consider using "bonnie".
UDMA-66 does not mean, that the drive can read or write that fast -
but it *does* mean that the date is transported over the bus with 66
MB/sec!
I would not recommend to buy a new controller. Your current system
seems to be very ok. BTW: in reality you won't get 22 MB/sec, bonnie
will show you hom much the performance decreases if the HD is doing
random seeks.

If you don't mind I have some advices for you:
1. Please start a new line after 68 or 70 columns
2. Please qoute just the important stuff and write below it
3. Please change your realname to your real name - "Hello cxpx" looks
rather strange...

Phil