Re: why so hard to decline recommend packages dselect/apt

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 02:01:21AM -0700, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> Well, the problem was that I wanted to install qmail from the author's
> pristine sources, so it couldn't really be under dpkg management.
>
> Basically, I needed equivs to satisfy the dependencies.
>
> What was weird is, you can force a installation of mutt using
> dselect, but after that, unless this particular dependency is
> satisfied, apt-get refuse to install any other packages, even if they
> are unrelated.

installing qmail under debian:
- just install qmail-src (using apt-get/dpkg/dselect), it won't conflict with exim
- same with ucspi-tcp-src and if you need serialmail-src
- run build-qmail, you will get a debian package which you can install as I discribed in my last mail (see above)
- same with ucspi-tcp and serialmail

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------