Re: why so hard to decline recommend packages dselect/apt

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 07:48:10PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> You don't want to avoid something that is an actual dependancy.

Well, take this 'problem' I recently had. I just upgraded from RedHat
to Debian.  My /home directory was kept, and the rest blown away. Anyways,
I ran into a problem with during the configuration (after installation),
and because I had monitored this list for awhile, remembered that someone
had mentioned the solution somewhere on the list.  So I needed access
to my mails.  The problem is, I wanted to install mutt, mutt is dependent
on smtp-mailer-daemon (or something like that).  I was going to install
qmail later, but didn't want to do it at that moment.

So, basically, I ended up installing exim and mutt. Find the solution
to my problem, and then uninstalling exim (I wanted to know how to
break dependencies, and I found out what the package that allows that
was called: equivs).

> There's no way to make apt-get install anything except dependancies
> automatically.  You'd need to either used dselect or look at the
> suggestions and recommendations and install them yourself.

Isn't dselect going away?

--
email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes