Re: why so hard to decline recommend packages dselect/apt

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 03:40:09PM -0700, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> Well, take this 'problem' I recently had. I just upgraded from RedHat
> to Debian.  My /home directory was kept, and the rest blown away. Anyways,
> I ran into a problem with during the configuration (after installation),
> and because I had monitored this list for awhile, remembered that someone
> had mentioned the solution somewhere on the list.  So I needed access
> to my mails.  The problem is, I wanted to install mutt, mutt is dependent
> on smtp-mailer-daemon (or something like that).  I was going to install
> qmail later, but didn't want to do it at that moment.
>
> So, basically, I ended up installing exim and mutt. Find the solution
> to my problem, and then uninstalling exim (I wanted to know how to
> break dependencies, and I found out what the package that allows that
> was called: equivs).

There are programs, like mutt, that depend on a smtp-mailer-daemon.
You installed exim to satisfy this dependency. Now if you prefer using qmail instead of exim, just install qmail, and afaik exim will be automatically removed.
At least this worked for me the other way round using apt-get.

qmail was installed.
apt-get install exim      // removed qmail and installed exim

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------