Re: Fortify and Netscape Navigator

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:42:19PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> Thanks. I went to Netscape's web site and my browser was identified as:
>
>   Netscape Navigator 4.73
>   English language, [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.2.17 i686; Nav, Strong 128-Bit  Encryption
>
> Here it is supposedly 128-bit already. I used to use the fortify

no netscape is lying to you.  the export version does have 128 bit
encryption but it will only be used for `select' sites, ie ones
approved by the NSA or somesuch thing.

> homepage's SSL check to determine my various browsers' encryption
> levels. When I checked my 4.73 deb, it was reported to be 40-bit only.

thats because it is effectivly 40bit only, the export version refuses
to use strong crypto in almost every circumstance.

> Maybe fortify's ability to check the encryption level of 4.73 is a bit
> off since you mentioned that fortify doesn't support netscape versions
> beyond 4.72?

no fortify is correct, netscape is lying.

> An idea where I might determine my browser's true encryption level?

http://www.fortify.net/sslcheck.html

which says my netscape supports RC4, 128 bit key.  because i
downloaded the strong crypto version and replaced the debian binary
with it.

> I'd hate to go through the hassle of getting fortify to work if I've
> already got a strong crypto browser.

you don't have a strong crypto browser.

> Thanks!

no problem.