Re: Fortify and Netscape Navigator

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 08:14:20PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running fortify 1.4.6-2 and netscape 4.73 that are part of potato,
> but I can't seem to get the two to dance. I figure that the netscape
> binary is navigator-smotif-473, but fortify doesn't recognize it. Am I
> attempting to patch the correct binary? I had to follow symlinks all
> over to pin this one down.
>
> Anybody have fortify working on a debianized netscape? Care to share
> what you did?

its not the debian packages that are at fault, its fortify, fortify
does not and will not support netscape past 4.72.  you have to do one
of 3 things to get 128 netscape:

download the netscape tarball from netscape.com and extract the
appropriate binary out and mv it to
/usr/lib/netscape/473/communicator/communicator-smotif.real.

download the netscape tarball from netscape.com and install it in
/usr/local

follow the instructions posted by Brad earlier to build your own
.debs.  (this involves more downloading then either of the above
solutions)

netscape has been orphaned by the original debian developer (too small
of a /dev/null i think was one of the reasons he mentioned..) and just
now adopted by another.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/