Re: Hardware Modems

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 romeu@petrobras.com.br wrote:

> windows, reaching the capacity of 115 Kbps (at least, windows say that).
> Take a look at their DOS readme section:

Windows is lying, most likely :}  It frequently reports the connection
speed between the computer and the modem, rather than between the two
modems.

If the modem can run under DOS, it can almost certainly work under Linux.
The problem of setting a modem to use a particular COM port is different
from the WinModem problem in which the modem does not really use a COM
port at all.

There are a couple of things to try.  First of which is to boot DOS, run
the modem config program, and then load Linux with loadlin.  This will
leave the modem configured, as opposed to a real reboot, which is likely
to erase the modem config.

The second of which is to try to run the modem config program from within
DOSemu.  But for this you need to know all the port addresses used by the
modem so you can give DOSemu direct access to them.

> I think this CONFIGP is a TSR that makes the connection between the
> (hardware!!!) modem and the COM port.

Even if it is a TSR, it may not need to be one.  You can use the DOS mem
command "mem /c/p" or is it "mem /c /p" - to enumerate all the TSR's
running in a DOS session.  If it is not in the list produced by mem, it is
not a TSR.  My bet is that it is *not* a TSR - it just programs the modem
registers to use a particular setup and then exits, since it has nothing
else to do.  It would be extremely difficult for a DOS TSR to manage a
modem in the same way that Windows manages a Winmodem.

This sort of "program the registers" program was very common a few years
ago especially with sound cards, but modems too.  I have no idea why any
modern modem would use such a thing instead of being a Plug & Play modem,
but there you have it :}

If it *is* a plug & play modem, you need to configure it with the PnP
tools - I bet pnpdump can see it.

> Isn't great? I spent a lot of money ($150) buying a hardware modem that
> cannot work under linux.

That is a lot of money for a modem!  Why didn't you get a cheaper one?

In general it is a bad idea to pay any attention to what tech support
tells you.