[ykarant@csci.csusb.edu: xdm potato wm no go]

Can someone help this person, please?

----- Forwarded message from "Dr. Yasha Karant" <ykarant@csci.csusb.edu> -----

From: "Dr. Yasha Karant" <ykarant@csci.csusb.edu>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: xdm potato wm no go
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Robinson (Branden?),

I am sending you this email based on the
email headers from bug report 66422 as the
xdm maintainer for Debian.  I have just
upgraded to potato (2.2) and a new (binary
image distribution) kernel (2.2.17).

xdm *REFUSES* to exec my wm (fvwm which was
formerly known as fvwm2).  When I login via
a regular scrolling terminal screen (e.g., screen
on F5), and issue a startx&  command (the & is
background mode in tcsh), everything works.
(That is, everything works after I login as root
and issue a /etc/init.d/xdm stop command so that
startx can grab the normal :0 screen on F7).

I have a .xsession file in my $HOME and also in /root
just in case xdm wants to default there.  I have done
a strings on xdm (binary) to find what it is using,
but to no avail.

Any assistance as to how to configure xdm so that it works
would be appreciated.

One note:  when I installed potato (upgrade from slink), I did
permit the xbanner; is this the cautionary "no warranty"
Debian message that appears via startx but not via xdm?

The script file from the upgrade that seems relevant to X
appears below for your information.

Thanks for *ANY* assistance; this was working fine under
slink and kernel 2.0.36 .

Yasha Karant
ykarant@csci.csusb.edu

Setting up xbanner (1.31-16) ...

Xbanner configuration
---------------------

A popular use of xbanner is to make it run when xdm is run, to beautify
the xdm login screen. I can modify some files to make this work, if you
want.

Should I modify xdm files to make xbanner be launched on xdm startup? [Y/n]
Xdm files modified to run xbanner.

Setting up xbase-clients (3.3.6-10) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/Xmodmap ...
Setting up xfonts-100dpi (3.3.6-2) ...
Running mkfontdir in 100dpi font directory...done.
Running update-fonts-alias in 100dpi font directory...done.

Setting up xfonts-75dpi (3.3.6-2) ...
Running mkfontdir in 75dpi font directory...done.
Running update-fonts-alias in 75dpi font directory...done.

Setting up xfonts-base (3.3.6-2) ...
Running mkfontdir in misc font directory...done.
Running update-fonts-alias in misc font directory...done.

Setting up xfonts-scalable (3.3.6-2) ...
Running update-fonts-scale in Speedo font directory...done.
Running mkfontdir in Speedo font directory...done.
Running update-fonts-scale in Type1 font directory...done.
Running mkfontdir in Type1 font directory...done.

Setting up xbmbrowser (5.1-6) ...
Setting up xcal (4.1-8) ...

Setting up xcolorsel (1.1a-8) ...

Setting up xcontrib (3.3.3.1-0.1) ...

Setting up xdaliclock (2.18-4) ...

Setting up xdm (3.3.6-10) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_0 ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0 ...

Configuration file `/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** Xservers (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Configuration file `/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** Xsetup_0 (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Configuration file `/etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** Xstartup (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/xdm ...

Setting up xserver-common (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xserver-vga16 (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xserver-svga (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xserver-s3 (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xserver-mach64 (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xf86setup (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xfig (3.2.3.a-6) ...

Setting up xfig-doc (3.2.3.a-6) ...

Setting up xfishtank (2.2-16) ...

Setting up xfonts-pex (3.3.6-2) ...

Setting up xfs (3.3.6-10) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/xfs/config ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/xfs ...

Setting up xless (1.7-11) ...

Setting up xlib6 (3.3.6-10) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpdf.so (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpdf.so.0 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libnewt.so.0.40 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libnewt.so.0.30 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libslang.so.0 (No such file or directory), skipping

Setting up xlib6g-dev (3.3.6-10) ...

Setting up xlispstat (3.52.14-1) ...

Setting up xloadimage (4.1-5) ...
Setting up xlockmore (4.15-8) ...

Setting up xmanpages (3.3.6-2) ...

Setting up xmorph (17nov97-2) ...

Setting up xnetload (1.7.2-1) ...

Setting up xosview (1.7.3-1) ...

Setting up xpaint (2.5.1-4) ...

Setting up xscreensaver-gl (3.22-7) ...

Setting up xspread (3.1.1c-9) ...

Setting up xsysinfo (1.6-10) ...

Setting up xterm (3.3.6-10) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm ...

Setting up xtoolwait (1.3-3) ...

Setting up xtrlock (2.0-6) ...

Setting up xv (3.10a-25) ...
Error: '/etc/mailcap' is not in required format -- not updated
       Restore from backup or delete and reinstall mime-support package
Setting up xv-doc (3.10a-25) ...

Setting up xview-clients (3.2p1.4-9) ...

Setting up xvt (2.1-11) ...

Setting up xzoom (0.3-10) ...

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Software engineering: that part of
Debian GNU/Linux               |    computer science which is too difficult