dsp hangs in soundstudio

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep /dev/dsp from hanging in
SoundStudio?  I am recording a guitar through the mike and when I am
done I get an error that child process terminated abnormally.  I can
shut down SoundStudio and start it back up and it works fine.  Is there
a way I can shut down /dev/dsp?  I have tried 'ps -a' but it does not
show /dev/dsp as being open.

Thanks,

Lance

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                                 lanceh@ibm.net

              Some use statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts
                      for support rather than illumination
                                  ANDREW LANG