Re: max file sizes and filesystems

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 12:49:57PM +0200, Anders Lennartsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> How big can a single file be in the filesystems FAT32, ext2, and NTFS?

2GB FAT32 & ext2, AFAIK, under Linux, without special patches.  LFS
patches are available, though I'm not sure of terms.

NTFS nominally supports data structures to 16 PB (petabytes).  I believe
there are lower limits imposed by other system limitations, even were
sufficient disk available.

> My question comes from an idea to create one or more files and mount
> them as loopbackdevices after formatting them.  This is a standard
> operation and there are some FAQs describing the procedure on the LDP
> web pages for example.  If I have a big enough windoze partition
> perhaps can I have parts of a Debian mirror (in one or more files) on
> that partition (and bring home with my laptop for installing/updating
> my desktop machine).

For most update purposes, a couple hundred megs should be far more than
sufficient.

You might also look at apt-zip, which specifically provides this
functionality.