failed upgrade-solved

Hi
Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Mathew Johnston wrote:

> Years of experience have told me that clean reinstalls are ALWAYS better than
> upgrades, so do that if possible.  Otherwise, I reccomend recompiling the kernel and
> modules, then doing a make install in the kernel.  But dont take my word for it, im
> sure someone more knowledgable will respond :)

I read the upgrade transcript, and found a reference to the change
in format of the path statements in modules.conf. Because I had added
a line to that file (about the irq and memory address for my network
card) the upgrade did not covert that file to the new format and
the required modules couldn't be found.

Why the reboot failed completely for one kernel but not for
another I don't know. But I booted the one that did work, followed
the update-modules directions and they now both boot just fine.

Some of the messages that fly by during the upgrade are critical, but it's
not easy to tell which those are. The release notes made me think I
didn't have to study update-modules too carefully. That was wishful
thinking.

Charles Kaufman
chuck@uri.edu