high characters in file names change in new potato vs. current slink

Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix the following problem?

I have a file in a Windows partition (VFAT) whose name includes a
high (beyond-ASCII) character.  That character shows up differently
in my new potato system than it does in my slink system.

In slink, the file name appears as "Beethoven_-_Für_Elise.mp3".
The character between the F and the r shows up as a small U
with an umlaut, or as \374 (console Emacs).

(The file name was copied to a file (in a regular Linux partition)
by a program running under Slink, and was then copied from that file
and pasted into this message (running Slink).  (Who knows what
encoding my mailer and your mailers assume, so who knows what
character you'll actually see.))

In potato, the file name appears as "Beethoven_-_F?r_Elise.mp3".
The character between the F and the r shows up an unknown
character (a small centered square on the console, blank in an
xterm), or as \201 (console or X Emacs).

(That character comes to you via the same program (though recompiled)
running under Potato, with similar copying and pasting into this
message under Slink.)

The mount options in /etc/fstab are identical:

    /dev/hdc4       /dosd           vfat    defaults,uid=102,gid=102,umask=007      0       2

I assume the difference is in the nls_... modules I have loaded.

How do I know which nls_... modules I _need_ to load?

Is there any good documentation about that?
(-What exactly do the nls... modules do?
 -Are the only for VFAT or do they do something in core Linux?
 -Does some part of the system operate in Unicode (or a general
  encoding of it, namely UTF-8)?
 -How can I know which nsl... modules I need to load?
 -Does a VFAT partition have one partition-wide NLS type, or can
  different files in one VFAT partition have different types?)

Thanks,

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay