Least # of disks install, Re: FreeBSD --> Debain: any good reason?

Quoting Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org):
> Wednesday, August 09, 2000, 11:24:16 AM, Thomas wrote:
> > Also, one of the other respondents mentioned the net installation...
> > I'll add on to that by saying that you don't necessarily need 7
> > disks--if you toss the tgz's for the base files and driver files onto a
> > hard disk partition (and then load them during the installation), then
> > you only need 2 floppies.
>
>     For the net installation you only need 2 floppies.  Well, at least as of
> Potato as one of the options is to retrieve base from an http server.  I think
> there is also an NFS option but I didn't have NFS setup on my main boxen at
> the time I was doing the install.

If I have already partitioned the disk and got a functional OS on the
machine, I do it with a DOS boot disk. In case it's useful, my method is

Make a DOS partition where the swap partition is going to be.

Copy base, linux, drivers and install.bat files, plus
dosutils/loadlin.exe and images-1.44/root.bin and rescue.bin to the
DOS partition.

Boot the DOS floppy, type C: and install.bat .

Perform the installation from "harddisk".

Reboot and, after typing in the root password or 1st username, switch
to VC2 and login.

Fdisk the dos partition to 82 (optional I think), mkswap, (I take the
opportunity to add a few lines to /etc/fstab as well as the swap line)
and swapon.

If you leave the last bit any later on 32MB memory, you have to do
it while been inundated with out-of-memory messages: quite tricky
editing in ae!

Cheers,