Re: HP OpenMail on Debian (M$ Exchange alternative)

> hi
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in getting HP's OpenMail
> working on a Debian box?

I've had a little.

> One of the features of OpenMail is that it can serve as an alternative
> to M$oft's Exchange Server software, and allows calendar sharing etc.
> between employees in an enterprise.

It has most of the functionality.

> The evaluation version on HP's site links to a bunch of RPMs (for RedHat
> 6.0) ... and I seem to recall some discussion on this list that has
> suggested that trying to install RPMs under Debian will create a bit of a
> mess ...??

Using alien to convert the .rpms to .debs won't work - the binaries will
all segfault.  Try converting them to .tar.gzs, and extracting the
binaries under /opt, then find and run the 'ominstall' (or something like
that) script.

Two tips:
 * Read through the postings on the OpenMail web message board on
   http://www.ice.hp.com.  There have been postings from Debian users
   trying to do the same thing your are.
 * DO NOT RUN OUT OF INODES.  Make sure /proc/sys/fs/inode-max is set very
   high.  Bad things will happen if you don't...

> if anyone has got this working, especially if they have installation
> instructions for Debian or a port ... I'd be most grateful!

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien