Re: HP OpenMail on Debian (M$ Exchange alternative)

Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > hi
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in getting HP's OpenMail
> > working on a Debian box?
>
> I've had a little.
>
> > One of the features of OpenMail is that it can serve as an alternative
> > to M$oft's Exchange Server software, and allows calendar sharing etc.
> > between employees in an enterprise.
>
> It has most of the functionality.

We started to play with OpenMail here; I never could get it to
work on Debian, so a co-worker with RedHat tried. After some
difficulty, he called an OpenMail rep (I don't have details), who
informed my co-worker that the shared calendering doesn't yet
work. That's the only reason we were interested, so we gave up on
it. This rep said that MS has been less than forthright in
providing the information to HP necessary to get calendaring to
work. Now mind you, this info is second hand.

On a related note, several co-workers came back from a Win2000
week-long class last week, taught by a 3rd-party (e.g.
non-Microsoft) organization; the instructor basically said that
Outlook (or maybe just calendaring; I don't remember) on
Macintosh connecting to an Exchange server tends to cause a lot
of problems, which then locks the Windows users out of their
calendars until the Exchange server is rebooted. He said the
problem was in the Macintosh Exchange client, and that the
Exchange programmers at MS don't seem to get along with the
Macintosh programmers at MS, which is a large part of the
problem. I would not expect HPOpenMail to be any better. Of
course, this info is third hand, and my not be applicable if
you're not interested in cross-platform solutions with the big
three (Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux).

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu