Very large SCSI drives and partitioning.

Okay, due to some *very* large storage requirements, I've gotten a
ST173404LW drive (73.4 Gig Ultra2 160 drive), and I've hooked it up to
the onboard AIC-7890 controller on my ASUS p2b-s motherboard (which
has worked fine with my 9 and 18 GB ATLAS drives).

However, I can't partition the new drive.  Cfdisk on debian 2.1
refuses to talk to it at all.  fdisk will talk to it, but thinks it
only has 4.5 GB of capacity.  If I go into expert mode, I can set the
number of cylinders to 14,100 (from manufacturers data sheet), and the
heads to 24 (again, from manufacturer), but then the drive has 424
sectors, and fdisk won't allow sectors>63.

Same thing happens whether large drive translation is turned on or
off---if I don't overflow one number (like cylinders), I overflow
another (sectors).

Any ideas?

As an aside, if I don't partition the drive it seems to work fine,
i.e. 'fdisk /dev/sdb'.  Can I run it like this safely?

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			PhD. Candidate and Sysadmin
bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept