Re: Very large SCSI drives and partitioning.

Peter S Galbraith writes ("Re: Very large SCSI drives and partitioning. "):

>Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>
>>                                                      I've gotten a
>> ST173404LW drive (73.4 Gig Ultra2 160 drive),
>> However, I can't partition the new drive.  Cfdisk on debian 2.1
>> refuses to talk to it at all.  fdisk will talk to it, but thinks it
>> only has 4.5 GB of capacity.
>
>Did you try passing the disk geometry to the kernel at boot time?
>e.g. using lilo:
>
> LILO: somekernelname sdb=14100,24,424
>
>Just guessing here...

Well, the kernel seems to be able to figure out most of it by itself:

SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 143374738 [70007 MB] [70.0 GB]

which is indeed the correct sector count and capacity according to Seagate's spec sheet.

Here's excerpts from 'scsiinfo -a /dev/sdb' for it:

  Serial Number '3CE02MCM00007044LENE'
  Data from Rigid Disk Drive Geometry Page
  Number of cylinders                14100
  Number of heads                    24
  Starting write precomp             0
  Starting reduced current           0
  Drive step rate                    0
  Landing Zone Cylinder              0
  RPL                                0
  Rotational Offset                  0
  Rotational Rate                    10016

  Data from Format Device Page
  ----------------------------
  Removable Medium                   0
  Supports Hard Sectoring            1
  Supports Soft Sectoring            0
  Addresses assigned by surface      0
  Tracks per Zone                    1810
  Alternate sectors per zone         0
  Alternate tracks per zone          6
  Alternate tracks per lun           0
  Sectors per track                  424
  Bytes per sector                   512
  Interleave                         1
  Track skew factor                  95
  Cylinder skew factor               85

So apparently scsiinfo and Seagate appear to agree that
cylinder=14100, and heads=24.

Sectors appear to be 424, which means that total raw capacity is
24*14100*424=143481600, which is slightly larger than the 143374738
reported by the kernel and seagate.

However, fdisk doesn't allow me to partition it:

  zombie:~# fdisk /dev/sdb
  Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun or SGI disklabel
  Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
  until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
  content won't be recoverable.

  The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4471.
  There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
  and could in certain setups cause problems with:
  1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
  2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
  (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

  Command (m for help):

So it's defaulting to a cylinder count of 4471, not the 14100 it should be.

So let's try expert mode:

  Command (m for help): x

  Disk /dev/sdb: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 4471 cylinders

  Nr AF  Hd Sec  Cyl  Hd Sec  Cyl   Start    Size ID
   1 00   0   0    0   0   0    0       0       0 00
   2 00   0   0    0   0   0    0       0       0 00
   3 00   0   0    0   0   0    0       0       0 00
   4 00   0   0    0   0   0    0       0       0 00

  Expert command (m for help): h
  Number of heads (1-256, default 64): 24

  Expert command (m for help): c
  Number of cylinders (1-65535, default 4471): 14100

  The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 14100.
  There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
  and could in certain setups cause problems with:
  1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
  2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
     (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

So far, so good...

  Expert command (m for help): s
  Number of sectors (1-63, default 32): 464
  Value out of range.
  Number of sectors (1-63, default 32):

So it's not letting me up the sector count.  So the max capacity I've
seen so far in fdisk is 63*14100*24=21319200, or about 1/7th of the
real capacity.

'mke2fs /dev/sdb' appears to work fine, however.  I still don't know
if this won't hurt anything...  Just skiddish before trusing 60 GB of
data to it (although it is backed up via networker)

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			PhD. Candidate and Sysadmin
bofh@me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept