Re: [Q] Can Samba mount 'shared' (not 'served') Win drives ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 08:44:01AM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
> > > At work, in a predominantly NT environment, I use Samba to mount drives of
> > > the NT servers on the Lan. However, I'd also love to access files on my
> > > (vanilla NT 4.0) desktop at work which is set to let other 'share' its
> > > files.  I tried mounting these from a Linux box but failed.  Is there a way
> > > to get to these files so that I could access the files from Linux?
> >
> > mount -t smbfs //server/share /mountpoint -o
> >
> > That should all be one line, of course.
>
> Yes, as I wrote, that works fine for NT servers providing a share. I use
> that with the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab so that I can simply say
>         mount /mountpoint
> and the rest happens automatically.
>
> I now would like to access the C:\ I declared as 'shared' on my desktop.  I
> can't figure out what that would be. Whatever I try yields 'session request
> to DESKTOP failed'.
>
> Any idea?

You said you "would like to access the C:\ I declared as 'shared'
on my desktop." By "desktop", do you mean your workstation
computer, or do you mean your Windows Desktop (shell program)? If
the latter, you can't mean "C:\", yet the error message that you
mention indicates the latter.

So, what directory have you shared, "C:\" or
"C:\WINNT\PROFILES\YOURUSERNAME\DESKTOP", and with what
permissions?

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu