Re: How stable is WINE?

I wrote:

> "Michael Janssen (CS/MATH stud.) " wrote:
>
> >                                             you might take a look at
> > win4lin (www.trelos.com).  I have been using the eval version for
> > about a week and I like it alot - it required a modified kernel, but
> > once you get that done, it's amazing.
>
> I'm running potato, and I'm having problems installing the
> evaluation version.  First, the quickdownload.sh downloaded an
> rpm package and not a deb.

I downloaded the `complete' file Win4Lin1.0-eval.tgz and
soft-linked the empty LINUX file to the one I had installed
before.

>                             But since I'm not using slink (and I
> assume the deb would be for Corel), I simply ran alien on the rpm
> package to get a deb out of it.
>
> But running the install script fails:
>
> # sh install-win4lin.sh
> failed dependencies:
>         /bin/sh   is needed by Win4Lin-4.9.2k.eval-1
> The Win4Lin package install failed.

Seems it was calling `rpm' instead of `dpkg'.
I hacked the install-win4lin.sh file, adding:

  trap Interrupt_Proc 1 2 3 15

  Check_installed_$PKGMGR
+ PKGMGR=dpkg

  while true
  do

I ran it, and it worked.  The problem now it that my Windows 98
CD doesn't seem good enough for it.  It came with a new Dell
computer purchased in Canada (the english version).

I emailed their support and got a very quick response: