simple language for pop-up messages in X?

Hi,

Not entirely debian related, but...  Can someone recommend a simple
language that I could use to write a pop-up message program for X?  I
would like to be notified when I have new mail in a samba-mounted
spool.  I haven't found any applets that suit me because when I don't
have mail, I don't want to see anything.  I don't know any languages
(except awk and bash scripting), so any sample scripts that you might
have would be very useful.

Thanks!
--

Brian J. Stults