Re: Annoying message

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Gu=F0mundur_Erlingsson?= wrote:
  >Hi,
  >
  >I sometimes get this message when I run programs in xterm as root:
  >
  >     Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
  >     Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server"
  >

  >It doesn't seem to prevent anything from running but is annoying none the
  >less. Anyone know how to get rid of this thing? It seems to be a
  >permission-thingy, but as it comes only when I'm logged in as root, that's a
  >bit odd. Or isn't it?:-)

Well, it will have stopped _something_ running.

What is happening is that when you become root by running su, XAUTHORITY
is not defined (or is defined to root's XAUTHORITY).  You need to point
XAUTHORITY to the authority file of the user who started the X session,
like this:

 export XAUTHORITY=/home/user/.Xauthority

substituting the correct name for `user'.

Alternatively, run `xhost +' before becoming root, but this is much less
secure.

     "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good
      courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for
      the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou
      goest."                        Joshua 1:9