Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 07:07:31PM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> Perhaps you meant the symlink farm of /etc/rc?.d/[SK]??*

not at all, i meant that the non-standard redhat-ism of moving
/etc/init.d to /etc/rc.d/init.d along with the /etc/rc[0-6].d
directories to /etc/rc.d is lame.

> apt-get install file-rc will take care of all that for you. As the
> administrator you edit /etc/runlevel.conf instead of making and deleting
> symlinks.

the symlink stuff does not bother me much, though file-rc sounds quite
nice, a good compromise between the control you get with BSD init and
the upgradability/package manager friendly sysvinit.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/