Re: Helix Gnome Evolution 0.3

grendel@vip.net.pl (Marek Habersack) writes:

> it as on a marketing/support factor. If any of your customers would come to
> you and say "hm... I would switch to Linux, but I kinda like the M$ Outlook.
> If Linux had something like that...". Now you will be able to say "Voila!
> Evolution - right here for you!" :-). Besides, the product will no doubt be
> dozens of times more secure than any of the M$ incarnations of Outlook.

When my department switched to Linux (CorelLinux w/ KDE), our intent
was to provide a familiar UI for the designated Ex-Windows users. (We
purged that perverted slink stuff quickly in favor of woody w/ Gnome
for technical reasons. And KDE can't handle 800x600 in a way that
would make us happy.) The user fraction on their side were also seriously
disappointed from "Linux Windows"... because they have to mount
removables now: "But you have to admit that Windows is easier to use",
repeated by two dozen people every once a while we show up. I guess it's
psychologically important for "the man on the keyboard" not only to use
SW that makes a difference on the system level but visualize the
difference on the GUI level. This helps not to confuse apples and
pears, and also won't force us to compete with MS's featuritis.

My 0,02 EUR
Andre
---
He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use
Loses both and deserves neither