Newbie Install Questions

I've used Linux (Redhat) for about 6 months and have just installed potato via ftp. I have some newbie questions I would appreciate some help with:

1.) If I download a file from the net, where does it go? Which directory, as netscape seems to automatically determine the target.
2.) Where's the *best* newbie info for installing my Yamaha opl3a sound card?
3.) What do I do to get printing? I installed lpr module in the kernel and installed aps filter, but when trying to print a test page, nothing happened. Again, any good sources for printer config info?

thanks
-- dale